Thursday 1 August 2013

Sack of Spuds Position

Oh no flat hands!


I'm constantly reminding myself to sit up and engage my core with shoulders back and facing forward, rather than what I tend to do which is to look down.

When I achieve this position my horse moves forward into an energetic walk and when I don't he slows down and I know I'm blocking his forward motion by restricting free movement of his back.

Pilates is a really good discipline to practice to learn about core strength and I read a description of the Alexander Technique's idea of head forward and up which I think is really relevant for riding.

 http://www.imogenragone.com/alexander-technique-directions-what-are-they/

But breaking bad habits is just so hard I can have a really good position when I'm actively thinking about it but as soon as my mind wanders, which is pretty soon when your a daydreamer like me, I collapse through my middle compressing everything down, which is not good for me and not good for Tetley as all my weight drops down through my body instead of my heels.

The good thing about riding though is it gets you to think about your posture and become more body aware, if your not already, and that is as they say 'all gravy' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments